Unless I missed tagging something, this is my first meme participation in 5 years... but I think that's because memes aren't as common as they used to be?
1. Why did you sign up for Dreamwidth?
Because Mark asked me to get involved, about 6 weeks before open beta happened, IIRC. I had Perl experience and a lot of free time, and the rest is history.
2. Why did you choose your journal name?
Ancient history: Kareila is a name I first used for an RP character in high school. Sometime during my sophomore year of college, I was invited to join a social MUSH, and that's the username I decided to use. It's been my primary online identity ever since.
3. Do you crosspost? Why or why not?
I still crosspost for the benefit of my few remaining loyal LJ readers, but all my crossposts are locked there, even if they're public here.
4. What do you do online when you're not on DW?
Email, Twitter, and Facebook. Streaming music and YouTube. The occasional online game.
5. How about when you're not on the computer?
Reading books, watching sports, playing console games, hanging out with loved ones, or sleeping.
6. What do you wish people who read your journal knew about you?
After all this time, I have no idea what my readers might not already know about me, especially the ones who have met me RL (most of you).
7. What is your favorite community on Dreamwidth?
. I'm also very fond of kareila_books
, but I'm biased in that regard.
8. What community do you wish was more active?
I'm going to say dw_dev
even though that's sort of cheating.
9. Are there two people on your reading list that you think should meet?
If I had to choose just two that I don't think have met already, I'd go with azurelunatic
10. Tell me about your default icon.
Many of my icons are TV/movie/cartoon characters that I strongly identify with. My default icon for some time has been Sam Sparks from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
. I've kept that as default for several years now because I particularly like how it looks with my journal theme.
11. What features do you think Dreamwidth should have that it doesn't currently?
As one of the lead devs I find it uniquely hard to answer this question. At this point, if a feature doesn't already exist, it's because either I don't personally want it or else it's Too Much Work. (Or possibly a Work In Progress.)
12. What do you consider the five most "telling" interests from the list on your profile?
My interest list has been woefully neglected since LJ days and could stand to be updated, but from what currently exists: ChaoticMUX (the social game I ran for several years before everyone emigrated to LJ), choral music (I sing a lot), geophysics (my college major), INFP (my MBTI classification, which I find helpful when debugging interpersonal interactions), & xyzzy (reflecting my early love of text-based games). "Entropy" and "wishes" are also ChaoticMUX references.
13. Do you have any unique interests on your user profile? What are they? How'd they get there?
I used to, but I don't any more - careful inspection of my LJ profile reveals that I removed 2 unique interests from my DW profile (they weren't unique on LJ). "Games Magazine" which I still subscribe to, and "Digital Blasphemy" which is a CGI wallpaper artist I used to patronize.
14. Did you have a gateway fandom? Still in it? Why or why not? Is there a community for it on DW?
I suppose my gateway fandom was Monty Python, in the sense that it led me to alt.fan.monty-python
in the pre-WWW days, and that led to my friendship with hkellick
which led to ChaoticMUX which led to everything else. I left that particular newsgroup a few years later, but I'm still a fan, as evidenced by that ficlet I posted the other day. Teenage exposure to Monty Python and Douglas Adams gave me the "yes, this is all really ridiculous" perspective I needed for my mental health, and I'm completely inseparable from their influence. I don't think there is a DW community dedicated to Monty Python, but since they haven't done much new original work in the past 30 years, I don't consider it an oversight.
15. What's your current obsession? What about it captures your imagination?My previous post
already covered this.
16. What are you glad you did but haven't really had a chance to post about?
Recently? Uh... (thinks)... last week I watched the first three episodes of Mr. Robot. I don't manage to watch a lot of scripted TV, mostly just sports and competitions, so that was kind of a big deal. Also, the usual suspects have been doing a sporadic Bond Roulette, viewing (and mocking) all the James Bond movies in random order; we just passed the halfway point when we watched Skyfall
on Saturday night. There's one other thing I did recently that I haven't written about yet, but that's redacted until the end of the month.
17. How many people on your reading list do you know IRL?
Just going off my access list: 49/58, but that doesn't correct for duplicate accounts. Still: most of you. For my entire subscription list, it's closer to 50/50.
18. What don't you talk about here, either because it's too personal or because you don't have the energy?
Assuming I have the energy, the only things in my life I try to avoid talking about are my personal relationships with others except in the most general terms. If they're not reading, it's talking behind their back; if they are, it can devolve into he said/she said when there's any disagreement. Occasionally I need to make a mental health exception, but as a rule I try to avoid it.
19. Any questions from the audience?
I don't know, are there?
20. Yes, but what are your thoughts on yaoi?
I don't have any? I mean, I know what it is, but I don't swing that way. Yuri, maybe. It's been years since I consumed any anime or manga on a regular basis, though.
21. What's your favorite thing about Dreamwidth?
The people. Honestly, that's my favorite thing about pretty much everything I love.